2017 Yamaha YZF-R1 ABS
*Note: Add $595, GST, and PST to the sale price of the unit for the “Drive Away total “cash” price.
MotoGP, the highest form of motorcycle racing, is our proving ground. The technology Yamaha has pioneered and proven on MotoGP circuits around the world can now be enjoyed by racers and riders alike. The R1 provides riders with a taste of what it would be like to ride the championship winning Yamaha M1. A showcase of Yamaha's technology leadership, the R1 raises the bar with its uncompromised performance and handling.
Power: By reducing frictional losses, using high tech, lightweight components and optimizing intake efficiency the R1 engine offers significant power and torque. And with a comprehensive list of electronic control technologies, the light, compact R1 is easier to control than ever.
Technology: The R1 is Yamaha's technology flagship. From titanium rods to magnesium wheels to a whole host of electronic "Yamaha Ride Controls", the R1 exemplifies Yamaha's leadership role in motorcycle development and highlights our innovation, quality and attention to detail.
- Crossplane crankshaft, titanium "fracture split" con rods & offset cylinder
- Titanium intake & steel exhaust valves & special "Finger Follower" rocker arms
- Twin injector 45mm throttle body FI & high capacity air box
- Mid ship 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust system with EXUP & titanium header pipes & muffler
- Magnesium wheels, oil pan, cylinder head cover & crankcase covers
- Yamaha Ride Control: PWR / TCS / SCS / LIF / LCS / QSS plus YCC-T & YCC-I
- Compact, lightweight aluminum Deltabox chassis & swingarm
- ABS & Unified Brake system, with dual 320mm front discs
- MotoGP M1 race bike inspired body design
- TFT multifunction instrument
- LED headlights, position lights & turn signals
- Ultra-lightweight, compact, 998cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with "crossplane" style crankshaft.
- The key components of this cutting edge engine design are the "crossplane" crankshaft and an uneven firing order. Both of these features are used on Yamaha's race winning M1 MotoGP racer. The R1 crossplane crankshaft locates the center two rods at a 90 degree plane from the outer cylinders. Instead of the crank pins aligned on the same plane (a straight line drawn through the center of the crankshaft), they align on 2 planes in the form of a cross... or "crossplane". Working in conjunction with the crossplane crank is an uneven firing order. This R1 engine fires 1,3,2,4 cylinders and the firing intervals are uneven at 270 / 180/ 90 /180 degrees. What all this means to the rider is the most linear torque possible and amazing throttle control. This engine design allows a whole new level of rider - machine communication. One of the most important benefits is the outstanding cornering performance that exceptional throttle control allows.
- The key engineering goal for the R1 series is significant horsepower with excellent controllability, making the bike easier & more enjoyable to ride. The R1 is a "rider's machine".
- 4-valve cylinder head design: compact pent roof combustion chambers with 13:1 compression ratio; lightweight 33 mm titanium intake valves & 26.5 mm steel exhaust valves; 4-valve design optimizes breathing efficiency & overall engine performance; combustion chambers are machined to ensure exact volume spec for maximum power
- Special intake port shape provides maximum filling efficiency: port shape, valve placement & combustion chamber shape induce a tumbling effect of the inbound fuel - air charge that increases combustion speed, power & torque
- "Finger follower rocker arms": reduces friction, allows greater valve lift & provides super accurate control of valve opening & closing at high rpms; sliding area of the rocker arms feature a DLC (diamond like coating) to reduce friction & wear; valve adjustment pads sit under the rocker arm
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- High performance intake & exhaust cams.
- Closed deck aluminum cylinder with "liner-less" ceramic composite plated cylinder bores: ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight; excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery; coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power; closed deck design allows cylinders to be spaced more closely together, reducing engine width; cylinder is a stand-alone design (not integrated into the upper crank case)
- Offset cylinder design: offsets cylinder block relative to the crankshaft (to the exhaust side) to reduce frictional losses between the piston &cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output
- Short skirt, forged aluminum pistons: light weight design for fast throttle response; piston features a box shaped "bridge box " on the underside for increased rigidity & durability; special Defric coating on skirt to further reduce friction; ring expansion tension is optimized to reduce frictional losses; piston oil coolers spray oil at the underside of pistons & rods to reduce temperature
- Crossplane crankshaft design: crank inertial moment has been engineered to achieve linear throttle response, strong acceleration & excellent cornering exit control
- Super light, fracture split titanium connecting rods feature a "nut less" design: lower end "cap" of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are "split" apart using a special process known as fracture splitting & then machined; fracture splitting ensures true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads; lightweight titanium design (60% lighter than a conventional steel con rod) reduces horsepower losses & provides faster throttle response; fracture split "Ti" rods are a world's first to be used on a production motorcycle
- Single axis balancer shaft: reduces engine vibration
- Crankcases feature a "Tri-Axis" layout for the crank, main and drive axles: creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back; shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the "sweet spot" of frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
- Closed loop, 45 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system with twin injectors: twin injector (primary & secondary) system is used on our MotoGP M1 race bike & YZF-R6; primary injectors are located in the throttle bodies, secondary injectors located in the air box very near the computer controlled intake funnels; both primary & secondary injectors utilizes 12 spray holes to maximize fuel atomization; secondary injectors, located inside the air box, begin to function at mid rpms to redline; "closed loop system" uses dual oxygen sensors to sniff spent exhaust gases & automatically adjusts the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions; fuel injection benefits include instant throttle response, choke-free starting, steady idle during warm up & reduced emissions
- Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T): YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability; system features Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and D.C. motor driven throttle valves; YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve; ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
- Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) system: intake funnels / stacks vary in length between 2 pre-set positions depending on engine rpm; electronic servo motor varies the funnels. The revolutionary YCC-I provides the best of both worlds... solid low rpm torque & power combined with an amazing high rpm rush. It takes only 0.3 of a second for the funnels to move from the tall to the short position
- Compact 6-speed transmission: optimized gear ratios match engine output for maximum performance
- Compact, lightweight slipper or back limiter clutch assembly with assist: reduces rear wheel hop when making down shifts under hard braking; key benefit is reduced lap times & smoother control when participating in a race or track day; assist function reduces clutch lever effort
- Ram Air Induction System: features centrally located intake duct between the LED headlights, delivering cool, "force-fed" air which pressures the air box & increases power output at higher speeds; straight shot induction from centrally located fairing duct to air box without bends or turns
- Large capacity 10.5 litre air box: large capacity maximizes performance; M1 inspired intake duct with solenoid valve reduces intake noise & improves high rpm power; viscous type, high flow air filter is used
- Mid ship design 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust system: features lightweight titanium header pipes & muffler for reduced weight; design maximizes power, reduces weight, centralizes mass & lowers the centre of gravity for fast, light, agile handling; dual 3-way honeycomb catalyzers reduce exhaust emissions
- Special exhaust valve device: located in under engine chamber & features two separate exhaust flow routes based on rpm; system allows a more compact muffler design that provides outstanding power output & torque characteristics while still providing sufficient silencing
- Yamaha's EXUP System (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve): part of the mid ship exhaust system; utilizes a titanium body & butterfly valves that prevent the "blow back" phenomenon caused by "valve overlap"; design reduces weight & maximizes cornering clearance; EXUP system eliminates "flat spots" in the power band & reduces emissions
- High-efficiency, high capacity curved radiator: curved rad provides more cooling surface area than a conventional flat rad; ring-type fan provides increased airflow (and cooling) versus a standard cooling fan
- Air-cooled oil cooler sits below the main rad to maintain stable lubricant temperatures.
- Optimized wet sump lubrication system: features special oil routing to the big end rod bearings; lightweight, deep design magnesium oil pan significantly reduces weight; convenient spin-on type oil filter
- Super lightweight magnesium cylinder head & crankcase covers secured by aluminum bolts: magnesium offers significant weight savings
- Compact ACM (alternator) is mounted directly to the crankshaft: compact ACM uses rare earth magnets which produce more power for a given size than conventional magnets, therefore reducing size & weight
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI): produces a strong spark for fast starts; provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Direct ignition coils, iridium dual electrode spark plugs & high-output magneto: ignition coils integrated into plug caps, significantly reducing weight & complexity
- Many of the following rider assist aids are derived from Yamaha's MotoGP race efforts and help make the R1 more controllable & more enjoyable to ride. We call them Yamaha Ride Control or YRC.
- At the heart of the "Yamaha Ride Control" electronic rider assist aids are the IMU or Inertial Measurement Unit & ECU. The IMU features six axis of measurement using a gyro sensor to detect rotational motion in the pitch, roll & yaw directions. A "G" sensor detects acceleration / velocity in the forward & back, up & down and left & right directions. The vehicle position information obtained from the two sensors including bank angle, pitch rate & sideways slide acceleration is sent to the ECU which in turn controls the five YRC systems (not including the quick shift system). These variables are calculated 125 times per second.
- PWR: Power Delivery Mode is Yamaha's variable throttle control, which controls the throttle valve opening speed, enabling the rider to adjust performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or riding / racing conditions. There are 4-power settings available from an enhanced race setting to a slippery condition mode with softer power characteristics.
- TCS: Traction control system with lean angle sensor. System uses front & rear wheel sensors to detect slip & then adjusts / regulates power via the ECU / IMU to control rear wheel spin. In addition to detecting difference in speed between the front & rear wheels, the system uses input on the degree of bank / lean angle to adjust the degree of TCS intervention to an optimum level in relation to riding conditions in real-time. As the banking angle increases, the amount of TCS intervention also increases. When the TCS is disabled, SCS, LIF & LCS systems will automatically be shut down as well. There are 9 settings plus off.
- SCS: Slide Control System controls engine power when side slip is detected. Power output is adjusted to an optimum level to control side slide. There are 3 settings plus off.
- LIF: Lift Control System (a.k.a. anti-wheelie control) reduces time loss due to wheelies during closed course competition. System reduces front end lift during starts & hard acceleration. When the IMU and other sensors detect lift, engine output is adjusted to the optimum level to maintain strong acceleration without lift. There are 3 settings plus off.
- LCS: Launch Control System is adopted to help ensure fast, strong, controllable starts in closed course competition situations. When the LCS is activated, it keeps engine rpm limited to approx. 10,000 rpm & maintains an optimum level of engine power in conjunction with inputs from the TCS and LIF systems, allowing the rider to concentrate on clutch engagement & other competitors, reducing stress associated with race starts. There are 2 settings plus off.
- QSS: Quick Shift System provides smooth, fast upshifts even at full throttle. When the switch on the shift lever rod detects motion, it adjusts engine output & momentarily cancels out the drive torque to promote faster gear shifts. There are 2 settings plus off. System can be adapted to race shift pattern.
- Gravity cast, aluminum Deltabox frame: designed to offer an optimized rigidity balance to maximize handling & suspension performance. Frame provides a balance of strength, rigidity & tuned flex; engine is stressed member with rigid mounts; benefits include reduced weight, excellent high-speed stability & cornering characteristics, excellent traction / drive characteristics exiting a corner and a greater freedom in choosing or changing a line through a turn
- Detachable magnesium cast rear subframe: reduces weight; allows easier rear shock access & reduces costs in the event of damage
- Lightweight aluminum "upward truss-type" swingarm: provides great torsional rigidity for excellent rear wheel traction & control; swingarm length is 570 mm; design & length help reduce effects of chain tensioning during hard acceleration
- Key chassis geometry figures: 1405 mm wheelbase, 24 degree caster angle, 102 mm of trail; 56 degree maximum lean
- Fully adjustable KYB 43mm inverted fork with 120 mm (4.7") of wheel travel: adjustments include 15 turns of spring preload, 14-way rebound & 23-way compression damping; incredible suspension performance with excellent "feedback"; inverted design reduces unsprung weight & increases the rigidity of the fork since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps; adjustable design allows the rider to tune suspension to match riding style, rider weight & road or track conditions
- Fully adjustable Monocross link rear suspension utilizes a piggyback-style KYB shock providing 120mm (4.7") of wheel travel: shock adjustments include: 8 mm of treaded spring preload, 23-way rebound damping, 18-way slow speed compression damping and 5.5 turns of high speed compression damping; overall shock length can be adjusted by 5 mm for ride height adjustability; piggyback design helps to keep the shock oil cool for more consistent damping
- Electric steering damper
- ABS equipped, radial mount, 4-piston, mono-block calipers squeeze fully floating 320mm dual front discs: incredible braking performance with excellent control & lever feedback; radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance; Nissin radial master cylinder; stainless steel mess brake lines; 6-position adjustable brake lever
- Single piston, slide-type Nissin rear caliper squeezes a lightweight 220mm disc.
- Front & rear brakes feature Yamaha's latest anti-lock brake (ABS) & variable unified brake (UBS) technology: main benefit of ABS is excellent control under hard braking or braking on wet or slippery surfaces; when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates the hydraulic brake pressure to the point just before the wheel(s) lock-up; UBS system "unifies or links" the front & rear brakes when the front brake is applied; applying the front brake will engage the UBS and to a varying degree will apply some rear brake force too. The amount of rear brake force is based on the attitude & lean angle of the bike: if only the rear brake is applied, the UBS will not apply any front wheel brake force
- Super lightweight, die cast magnesium 10-spoke mag wheels: over 1 kg of weight savings Vs. the 2014 wheels (last generation); lightweight contributes to excellent suspension (reduced unsprung weight) & handling performance; front rim size is MT3.50 x 17, rear rim is MT6.00 x17
- Lightweight 17 litre aluminum fuel tank: tank provides excellent knee grip for hard braking & easy manoeuvrability; elongated shape helps to centralize mass & reduces variance in riding feel as the fuel load (weight) changes; 3 litre reserve capacity (fuel trip meter activates)
- Eye caching front fairing & windscreen provide a striking YZR-M1 race bike image: wind tunnel designed windshield offers excellent aerodynamics & features a "screw less" design; air resistance (fairing design) has been reduced by 8% compared to the '14 model (last generation)
- LED headlights & high intensity LED position lights: create a "face" never seen before on a motorcycle & provides stylish & unique look for the R1; excellent illumination & visibility; reduced power consumption
- Fully digital instrument panel with TFT liquid crystal display: displays have been concentrated into a single 4.2-inch screen that adopts a fully transmissive Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid crystal display that reduces reflection & glare; white or black backgrounds can be selected; auto brightness adjustment based on available ambient light; 2-modes are available... street & track; street display mode functions include; speedo, bar style tach, odometer, dual trip meters, gear position, intake air temp, coolant temp, instant & average fuel efficiency, clock, fuel consumed, fuel trip meter (appears when fuel switches to reverse - 3 litres remaining), peak rpm indicator, front brake pressure indicator, acceleration indicator, lap timer & selected YRC setting info; track mode functions include; race tach setting (tach starts at 8,000 rpm), lap number, lap timer, stop watch, gear position, speed & most of the above street displays including YRC setting info
- Immobilizer ignition system is designed to reduce the possibility of "ride away" theft: system must recognize the "coded ignition key" in order for the unit to start; if the immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key, the ignition system & starter will not function, even if the ignition is forced into the on position
- LED front turn signals integrated into mirrors
- LED tail light & compact LED rear turn signals
- 12 volt auxiliary DC connector (24 W / 2A)
- Large 25mm hollow front axle
- Extensive use of lightweight fasteners
- Lightweight 525 series "O" ring drive chain
- Oil level sight glass window
- Low maintenance, lightweight, sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valves (4-valves / cyl), in-line four
- Displacement: 998cc
- Bore and Stroke: 79 x 50.9mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.0:1
- Maximum Torque: 11.5 kg-m (83.2 ft-lbs.) @ 11,500 rpm
- Engine Management: YCC-T, YCC-I, PWR, TCS, LCS, LIF, SCS, QSS
- Fuel Delivery: Mikuni 45mm throttle body FI with twin injectors
- Estimated Fuel Consumption±: 14.4kpl / 40.6mpg (Imp.)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Final Drive: 520 series "O" ring chain
- Suspension (Front): Fully adj. 43mm inverted fork / 120 mm (4.7 in.) wheel travel
- Suspension (Rear): Fully adj. bottom link Monocross / 120mm (4.7 in.) wheel travel
- Brakes (Front): Dual 320mm discs / radial mount, 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped & unified
- Brakes (Rear): 220mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped & unified
- Tires (Front): 120/70ZR17
- Tires (Rear): 190/55ZR17
- Length: 2,055 mm (80.9 in.)
- Width: 690 mm (27.2 in.)
- Height: 1,150 mm (45.3 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,405mm (55.3 in.)
- Rake / Trail: 24 deg. / 102mm
- Ground Clearance: 130 mm (5.1 in.)
- Seat Height: 855 mm (33.7 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 17 L (3.7 Imp. gal.)
- Wet Weight: 199kg (439lb.)
- Colour(s): Deep Purplish Metallic Blue, Metallic Black
- CCU or Communication Control Unit is a plug & play data logger with GPS based information. It is an option on the above R1 and standard equipment on the YZF-R1M premium model. Please see the R1M info for more details on the CUU and its functions.
- Engine Type
- DOHC, 16-valves (4-valves / cyl), in-line four
- Bore and Stroke
- 79 x 50.9mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Mikuni 45mm throttle body FI with twin injectors
- Final Drive
- 520 series "O" ring chain
- Front Suspension
- Fully adj. 43mm inverted fork / 120 mm (4.7 in.) wheel travel
- Rear Suspension
- Fully adj. bottom link Monocross / 120mm (4.7 in.) wheel travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 320mm discs / radial mount, 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped & unified
- Rear Brakes
- 220mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped & unified
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 1,405mm (55.3 in.)
- Seat Height
- 855 mm (33.7 in.)
- 24 deg.
- Fuel Capacity
- 17 L (3.7 Imp. gal.)
- 14.4kpl (40.6mpg (Imp.))
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 199kg (439lb.)
- Deep Purplish Metallic Blue, Metallic Black