2016 Yamaha YZ450F - 60th Anniversary Yellow & Black
*Notes: Add $95, GST, and PST to the sale price of the unit for the “Drive Away” total "cash" price.
Featuring a "reversed" rear slanted engine design for mass centralization, minimal bodywork and a proven KYB "SSS" suspension system, the YZ450F offers class leading power in a 250 sized chassis. For 2016 the engine has been revised, we have added launch control for faster starts and added a larger front disc into the mix. The 2016 YZ450F balances the 3 essential elements of an ultimate motocrosser: easy cornering, lightweight & compactness and a deep, useable power band.
Power: We have revised the "reversed" liquid-cooled, 450cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single to offer even more mid to high rpm power, improved the shifting and tweaked the clutch and transmission. This revolutionary engine design has been tuned for excellent "ride-ability and controllability" and delivers a broad, deep power band.
Frame, suspension & brakes: The compact "Bilateral Beam" aluminum frame centralizes mass for exceptional handling. We have increased the size of the frame spars in the swingram pivot area, revised the upper & lower triple clamps and adjusted suspension settings to match these changes. Despite plenty of focus on the "go" side, we also increased the size of the front disc to offer lots of strong stopping power too.
- New intake & exhaust cam profiles & exhaust valve spring rate
- Revised clutch assembly
- Revised transmission & shift cam stopper lever
- New launch control system
- New ECU
- Revised "Bilateral Beam" frame and upper engine mounts
- Revised upper & lower triple clamps and fork offset
- Revised front & rear suspension settings
- New, larger 270mm front disc with twin piston caliper
- The design goals for the YZ450F are a balance of easy cornering, a lightweight & compact feeling due to excellent mass centralization and a deep, useable power band.
- Revised, "reversed", liquid-cooled, 450cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single with fuel injection. The engine has been tuned for excellent "ride-ability and controllability" and delivers a broad, strong power band
- Unique engine design features a rearward slanting cylinder that is "reversed" compared to traditional designs. The FI throttle body and air box are front mounted and provide a straight intake path, while the exhaust exits from the rear of the cylinder. This design is used to centralize mass for excellent handling and a light feeling. It also means that engine heat will have less "heating effect" on the incoming fuel charge (cooler fuel helps increase power). The other major benefit is the straight shot intake system which maximizes power output. The engine is slanted 7.5 degrees rearward.
- Compact, 4-valve cylinder head design, features a 12.5:1 compression ratio. The intake valves are 37mm in diameter while the exhaust valves are 30.5 mm, for optimum flow and improved power.
- Revised intake and exhaust cam profiles, revised valve timing and new exhaust valve spring rate provides improved power and controllability in the low to mid rpm range. Combustion efficiency is increased for better torque output.
- Lightweight titanium valves (intake & exhaust) and load-reduced oval valve springs reduce reciprocating mass for less friction, faster-revving and a smoother-hitting power.
- Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces maintenance while special cam chain "sliders" reduce internal frictional losses.
- The lightweight aluminum cylinder features a ceramic composite coating applied directly to the aluminum block, eliminating the need for a liner or sleeve. The ceramic coating insures faster, more uniform heat dissipation, reduced friction and a longer service life.
- The cylinder is "offset" relative to the crankshaft to reduce frictional losses between the piston and the cylinder wall during the power stroke.
- Special cylinder design features cutaways that allow the air "trapped" under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway) to reduce horsepower-robbing "pumping losses."
- The crankcase also utilizes cutaways to reduce "pumping losses". The crankcase cutaways match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston features a unique crown design that improves combustion efficiency and a special surface treatment on the skirt to reduce friction.
- Piston oil cooler utilizes a pinpoint nozzle that directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder and underside of the piston, which reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for excellent durability.
- Carburized connecting rod for excellent durability.
- Lightweight gear driven counterbalancer shaft reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and less rider fatigue.
- The crankcase features a tri-axis layout for the crank, main and drive axles. This tri-axis design keeps the crankcase more compact while also centralizing mass for excellent handling.
- Revised 5-speed transmission features new engagement dog shape on selected gears for improved shifting. The transmission ratios are designed to match engine output to reduce "driving force" losses.
- The YZ450F features a 2-bar shift guide system with a 14mm shift shaft for excellent durability. Revisions to the shift cam stopper lever include changes to the roller shape, spring load and support design for smoother, more accurate shifting.
- Revised, multi-plate wet clutch features a new surface finishing process that increases the flatness of the clutch boss contact area for improved engagement feeling.
- Quick-access, lightweight magnesium outer clutch cover for fast, easy clutch maintenance.
- Keihin 44mm throttle body fuel injection system is a battery-less design. The 12-hole injector maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion and excellent power delivery. The benefits of fuel injection include constant ongoing adjustments to insure the optimum fuel - air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude. Other benefits include improved starting and improved throttle response. There is a cold start knob which also doubles as an idle adjuster too.
- The injector spray pattern, spray direction and the distance to the intake valves have been optimized, while the specially designed straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system and overall power output.
- Optional, compact, hand held "YZ Power Tuner" allows tailoring of both fuel injection duration and ignition mapping. Nine (9) different setting points can be accessed for both the FI map and the ignition map. Maps can be stored and shared with other Power Tuners if desired.
- Forward mounted air box features a flat style, washable, foam air filter which is easily accessible without removing the tank or seat. Quick release, no tools required, fasteners on the air box cover provide fast access.
- Wet sump lubrication system reduces weight, allows for more compact engine cases and eases maintenance. Oil volume in the engine has been optimized (0.95 L) to reduce weight and oil drag related power losses.
- Revised water pump impeller design reduces pressure on the seal for improved durability
- Maintenance-free transistor-controlled ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
- High capacity ACM (alternating current magneto) is used to eliminate the need for a battery.
- Automatic decompression system ensures easy starts in any gear.
- Rear exiting exhaust pipe has an innovative layout, circling the cylinder to provide the correct tuned header length for an excellent exhaust pulse effect. The exhaust pipe has three different diameters throughout the exhaust tract, bringing out excellent power characteristics. This unique design also centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre line of the bike.
- Revised muffler bracket reduces weight. The repackable lightweight aluminum / stainless steel muffler (aka silencer) meets the current 94dB AMA and CMRC sound regulations.
- Compact, lightweight, single core, dual radiators provide outstanding cooling efficiency.
- New launch control system (LCS) allows you to concentrate on clutch control, body position and machine control to help achieve smoother, quicker starts with less wheel spin and front wheel lift. The system function in 1st & 2nd gears only and is disabled as soon as the bike is shifted into 3rd gear. The ECU controls the system and adjusts rpm to limit wheel spin & wheelies. Activation button is on the LHS handlebar and features a LED indicator light.
- New ECU with revised ignition settings and new "circuit" for the launch control system
- Special "G" sensor system will shut down the fuel injection system if the bike lies on its side for more than 10 seconds to help prevent costly engine damage. There is no special procedure to re-start the bike ... just kick it and go.
- Works-style race-spec "barrel adjuster" for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
- Easy access element style oil filter.
- Revised, compact "Bilateral Beam" aluminum frame centralizes mass for exceptional handling and a lightweight feeling. New, wider frame spars in the swingarm pivot area increase the lateral rigidity and optimize the rigidity balance for improved bump reaction and rear wheel traction. The frame is compact and offers excellent "rider - machine communication" (a.k.a. feedback) and shock absorbing qualities. The engineers have optimized the balance between strength, rigidity and flex. The key goal of the chassis is faster and easier cornering ... one of the main keys to winning races.
- Revised upper engine mounts
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm is produced using "hydro forming", a special method that uses high pressure liquid to form shapes. The swingarm pivot shaft is 17mm.
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame is constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends. The detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components.
- Revised upper and lower triple clamps. Fork offset has been increased to 25mm.
- Adjustable handlebar clamps offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm, to suit a wide variety of riders. The handle bar clamps are rubber mounted for improved rider comfort.
- 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba "SSS"cartridge fork offers 310mm (12.2") of wheel travel. Fork settings for rebound damping have been revised. Inner tubes feature a special surface treatment for smoother performance. Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
- The KYB fork features a twin-chamber, "Speed Sensitive System" design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and reducing its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil.
- The 48mm inverted KYB fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV) . The TCV enhances the damping force from mid to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics. The benefit of TCV is more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke. The TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position ... hence the term "Speed Sensitive System fork".
- Large "wrap-around" plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection. The "self-supporting" design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
- Monocross link rear suspension system features a fully adjustable, Kayaba piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4") of wheel travel and features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping. Shock settings for spring rate, low speed compression and high speed compression damping have been revised. The shock is in-line with the center axis of the bike for excellent control. Shock adjustments include: spring preload, 30-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping and 2 turns of high speed compression damping.
- New, larger 270 mm floating front "wave-style" disc reduces weight and improves cooling. The disc is squeezed by a new, compact Nissin twin piston caliper fitted with lightweight aluminum pistons and new high friction pad material for excellent stopping power.
- "Shorty style" adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245mm rear disc brake features a "wave-style" disc. The rear disc is squeezed by a single piston compact Nissin caliper.
- Lightweight, compact, integrated Nissin rear master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder) provides strong stopping power with excellent feel and control.
- Rear caliper and the lower portion of the wave disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- Plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank is located under the seat, reducing the centre of gravity and centralizing mass for exceptional handling performance. The fuel tank is able to pivot backwards 180 degrees (flip onto its back) without disconnecting the fuel line for easier servicing under the tank. Compact, lightweight in-tank electric fuel pump.
- Compact body work reduces weight and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ450F. This "minimal design" bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements and also aids in keeping the body looking good longer (less plastic, less wear).
- Graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds for durability.
- Flat design seat for easy rider movements and features a "cap cover" to access the fuel cap. There is no fuel cap visible with this design. The fuel filler "cap cover" snaps into place, via grommets. The non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud to ensure long lasting good looks.
- Rugged, 21" front and 19" rear black Excel rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling.
- 22mm front axle increases overall front end rigidity. 25mm rear axle and a hub design that features a second bearing on the sprocket side for increased rigidity and durability.
- Revised footrest design with 5mm lower mounting position for a more roomy riding position and lower centre of gravity. Extra wide foot pegs provide excellent grip and ground clearance.
- Clutch cable features integrated silicone grease in the cable and a Teflon liner for smooth cable operation.
- Convenient oil level sight glass window
- Folding shift lever tip
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and also helps protect the rear sprocket.
- Heavy duty DID 520 drive chain with lightweight Sun Star rear sprocket
- Easy access Power Tuner and Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
- E10 friendly fuel system components
- Engine: 4-stroke, Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
- Displacement: 450 cc
- Bore and Stroke: 97 x 60.8 mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: Keihin 44 mm throttle body F.I.
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Kick
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension (Front): Adj. 48 mm, inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2 in.) travel
- Suspension (Rear): Fully adj. Monocross / 315 mm (12.4 in.) travel
- Brakes (Front): 270 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper
- Brakes (Rear): 245 mm, disc / single piston caliper
- Tires (Front): 80/100-21
- Tires (Rear): 120/80-19
- Length: 2,180 mm (85.8 in.)
- Width: 825 mm (32.5 in.)
- Height: 1,280 mm (50.4 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 330 mm (13 in.)
- Seat Height: 965 mm (38 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 7.5 L (1.7 Imp. gal.)
- Wet Weight: 112 kg (247 lb.)
- Colour(s): 60th Anniversary Yellow & Black
- Engine Type
- 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
- 450 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 97 x 60.8 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Keihin 44 mm throttle body F.I.
- Front Suspension
- Adj. 48 mm, inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2 in.) travel
- Front Brakes
- 270 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Suspension
- Fully adj. Monocross / 315 mm (12.4 in.) travel
- Rear Brakes
- 245 mm, disc / single piston caliper
- Rear Tire
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 112 kg (247 lb.)
- Fuel Capacity
- 7.5 L (1.7 Imp. gal.)
- 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
- Ground Clearance
- 330 mm (13 in.)
- Seat Height
- 965 mm (38 in.)
- Final Drive
- 60th Anniversary Yellow & Black